Tuesday 18 July 2017

Happy 99th Birthday Madiba!

Is there a greater man who has walked the Earth? Well, besides Jesus of course...

As I sit back and think through history, I actually feel like I cannot place anyone else into Nelson Mandela's category of greatness. Maybe I feel this way because his actions affected us, South Africans, very personally. 

I am too young to remember the struggle, but I've heard countless stories from my parents and my gran. So vivid in their memories that it paints a complete picture in my minds eye. The loss in their hearts will never be forgotten.

We celebrate this wonderful man today. He was released after spending 27 years in prison and one would expect him to have hatred in his heart and unleash vengeance. But, No,he wanted healing and peace for our nation. Now that's a legacy worth talking about, one worth remembering and one that will never, ever be forgotten. 

I've never met him personally, but I was within 5 steps of him at a car show many moons ago and the man literally exuded peace, calm, tranquility and love. His bodyguards were trying to get the crowds away but he wanted to stop and shake as many hands as he could. Walking into his home in Soweto gives you goosebumps as the air is thick with his memory. 

Whatever you are doing for your 67 minutes this month, spare a minute and think about the true meaning of the action...

I could write essays about this man who brought freedom to the majority of the Country but today I would just like to say, Thank you for not giving up on South Africa, Thank you for risking your life for us all and most of all, Thank you for Freedom!


          Happy 99th Birthday Tata Madiba!


No comments:

Post a Comment